Fair Food Network is a national nonprofit whose mission is to grow community health and wealth through food. A decade in, our work is connecting people to the power of food to improve health, support farmers, ignite local economies, and open opportunities for all. Our work testing and scaling replicable solutions has resulted in big changes in local communities, first through our innovative Double Up Food Bucks program, which today is a national model for healthy food incentives, and now through our Fair Food Fund investing in good food entrepreneurs. Together with our partners, we are pioneering and proving innovations that can be owned locally and scaled nationally, for lasting change in communities across the country.
Since 2013, Fair Food Fund has been successfully investing in entrepreneurs who are growing community health and wealth through the power of food. As a mission-driven fund we provide catalytic capital and business assistance to entrepreneurs that in turn improves access to healthy food, supports farmers, and strengthens local economies. And we bring a racial and social equity lens and seek out businesses led by women and people of color. We are a team of industry experts with decades of experience in community-based impact investing, food and agriculture, and entrepreneurship. Together, we are transforming the business of food from farms to families.
For more information on Fair Food Network, please visit www.fairfoodnetwork.org.
About the Role
The Fair Food Network seeks an Investment Analyst who aspires to use their lending and investing experience to help build health and wealth in communities by investing in good food enterprises that are changing the way the communities participate in the food system. The Investment Analyst will be an integral part of our impact investing team whose work aims to promote racial and social equity, job creation, healthy food access, farm viability, and economic development. The ideal candidate will be entrepreneurial, a self-starter, and passionate about using their skills and experience to provide financing to impactful changemakers in the food system. They will bring proven experience analyzing investment opportunities that have a high potential for impact. This position will report to Portfolio Manager, Joel Moyer, and this job will be based in Michigan with the ability and flexibility to work remotely in Michigan. The expected start of this position is in January 2021.
- Develop relationships and promote financing and business assistance offerings to prospective borrowers.
- Respond to inquiries from prospective borrowers and work closely with other members of the impact investing team vetting opportunities for mission fit and business viability.
- Generate new loan and investment opportunities that meet Fair Food lending and investing criteria.
- Conduct due diligence, including financial and impact analysis.
- Conduct site visits with prospective borrowers and portfolio companies.
- Drive the execution of funding by deal structuring, negotiation and preparation of term sheets.
- Provide ongoing support to portfolio companies as needed.
- Analyze regular financial reporting submitted by borrowers; and summarize findings for Portfolio Manager and Managing Director.
- Expand financing as appropriate to existing qualified loan clients.
- Develop and maintain a network of referral sources based on deep and broad knowledge of the Michigan food landscape.
- Structure financing and develop and plan appropriate capital stacks in collaboration with partner lenders.
- Identify business and technical assistance needs for prospective borrowers and high potential businesses.
- Ensure that relevant data is captured and managed on internal data platforms. Develop custom reports on performance and impact as needed and requested.
- Organize and participate in Investment Committee Meetings.
- Support and assist the Portfolio Manager, Managing Director and other members of the impact investing team with administrative and other duties as needed.
What You’ll Need
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in lending, investment banking or finance.
- Experience working with diverse communities, clients, and stakeholders.
- Experience in, or deep knowledge and sensitivity to, effectively working in and supporting underserved communities including understanding historical context, discernment of relationships and power dynamics, and an awareness of social, racial and ethnic equity.
- Exceptional interpersonal and listening skills to build relationships with colleagues, clients, prospects, strategic partners, and the public.
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills including the ability to speak and network at industry events and conferences.
- Strong knowledge of financial instruments including debt, near-equity, and equity instruments and issues in food entrepreneurship and impact investing.
- Strong computer skills including, but not limited to databases, MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to travel statewide on regular basis (when COVID restrictions are removed).
- An understanding of the barriers and opportunities involved in business ownership and the nuances of equitable food access, capital access, and can work within FFN’s mission.
- Knowledge of the impact investing space and local and regional food system preferred.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Competitive, comprehensive benefits package will include full health benefits, a 401K match, family leave, an open PTO policy, and professional development opportunities.
In addition, this position offers a fulfilling work environment at a supportive and entrepreneurially driven organization, plus exposure to innovative ideas, projects, and collaborative staff activities.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and complete a brief set of questions via the application here. Candidates are able to display interest on an ongoing basis, we will begin reviewing applications on November 30th, 2020.
If you have any questions about the role, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to getting to know you!
Fair Food Network’s commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our mission is best advanced by contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects the diverse communities that we serve is a priority, and we encourage applicants of all ages, cultures, races, colors, religions, national or regional origins, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or other status protected by law.